HALLOWEEN 2017






When I was asked to use my styling skills to decorate an exclusive Soho venue for Halloween in the theme of the Rocky Horror picture show my mind instantly started exploding with ideas! I wanted to do something that hadn't been seen before, think garlands, cob-webbing, lips, hanging umbrellas, marigolds and GLITTER! I wanted my idea to be wild

I prepared my ideas in the form of photos and prototypes to get the venue manager on board, even though they were a little abstract. The only extra thing he asked me to do was to source a cost for my amazing idea... does this mean I have a budget?

In true stylist fashion I did the very thing I love, shopping! I wanted to push boundaries and use some secret skills that I haven’t used in a few years. Most of the work for this job would be creating things from scratch which meant late nights and bags (under the eyes), I really had to step up my beauty regime!


The props were ready...

Halloween was only three days away when the venue asked me to come in and bring the Chris De La Creme decorating. Trust me when I say styling and decorating are hard tasks for anyone, included an experienced one like me, I found myself strutting my way down a barely recognisable Old Compton Street with an energy drink in one hand and a coffee in the other - needs are musts right?

Seeing my ideas develop in front of my eyes made all my preparation worth it, I was so proud to see my Halloween fantasy come to life. The venue has 4 bars in total so it was impossible to decorate it all in one day, especially as I was adding features that weren't part of the original plan. Day two arrives and after some much needed sleep I turned the doorways in to derelict ruined entrances with cob-webbing and yellow 'danger' tape to match the windows

The upstairs cocktail lounge was revamped in my Chris De La Creme 'plush' vibe with glitter pumpkins red white and black garlands, cob-webbing on the chandeliers, and an adorable length of Rocky Horror lips garland around the bar with my added touch of hanging black glitter candles. I gave the venue an over-all 'fun house' feel with a kind of quirky circus vibe


 

The club bar downstairs has minimum decoration for me to do to make it perfectly spooky. Cob-webbing on the ceiling, sexy themed lips garland around the bar and the same 'spooky' entrance as the others had it looking perfect. Remember that size doesn't matter, it's what you do with it that counts!


The two main bars were going to be the most difficult to execute. I wanted to create two different atmospheres separated with my very own unique 'haunted' corridor. The main bar in the venue makes cocktails so I wanted to add some real fun whilst keeping it sophisticated and classy. I created an amazing orange and black ceiling covering the main areas. I added to this by using cob-webbing on the ceiling that is the corner turning point between two bars. I complimented this by using a red, black and white garland to make a central focus point that separated the two bars



The feedback from the venue had me feeling positive and reassured that I was on the right track. However I was far from finished with my plan, there was still one more day for me to play and put my most abstract ideas in place. I started putting up the umbrellas, marigolds, toilet paper and newspapers - the props fans take to movie viewings. In the first scene of the movie it's raining, so at the main door I created an imitation of rain. I used dark and light blue and a white. I used these to create a chandelier effect coming in from the door





Now you know I have an eye for detail but I still get nervous awaiting feedback on my finished products. Luckily I didn't have to wait long as the manager strutted through and let out a massive 'OMG I love it!" I was overwhelmed with his admiration for all my work, he loved all my ideas, the props, the false rain, everything! My finished work was now about to be on display to hundreds of people. I was hoping that my art was going to make the venue more money than usual as that was part of my aim - to leave an impact and impression of customers and an impact on sales



My job here was done. The very first venue I have decorated, single handed I must add. The feedback from everyone has been incredible. The customers, the staff, my friends and absolutely everyone loved what I accomplished. No other venue in Soho had the same revamp and this really made me smile, and oh, did I mention that it was the venues most successful Halloween ever?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ELLA HUGHES - app launch

KIKI RIKI - clothing brand

SANDI BOGLE - film awards